Basement fire damages house on north side of city

By Jim McCabe on November 22 at 1:46pm

fire 11-22-2013

A faulty furnace caused a basement fire in a home in north Jacksonville this morning.

The Jacksonville Fire Department received the call to 804 North Main at around 9:30 this morning and saw smoke coming out of a house belonging to Don and Eva James.

According to Jacksonville Fire Captain Bryan McGee, Eva James was trying to re-light the furnace after not having had heat. The hot-water furnace apparently shot flames across the basement. Some basement materials caught fire, and McGee says the basement was fully involved when firefighters got down there.

Fire also went up the side of the house, but was mainly limited to the basement. In addition to heavy fire and water damage in the basement, McGee says the rest of the house suffered heavy smoke damage.

About $35,000 in damage was estimated to have been caused.

No one was hurt.

Fire crews were on scene for about two hours.