Fire damages South Clay home

By Jim McCabe on August 29 at 7:28am

Jacksonville Fire Department car

A fire caused about $16,000 worth of damage to a home on South Clay last night.

Jacksonville Fire Department reports indicate it happened at 817 South Clay. Fire crews were called in at around 6:15 p.m. to find the one-story home full of smoke. Fire was showing in the area of the front window.

Fire Lieutenant Mike Griffits says the home was owned by Mike Grafton, whose address was unavailable. It was rented by Nick Handy, but no one was home at the time of the fire. Griffits says three dogs in the house got out safely when the fire department arrived.

Griffits says the fire is suspicious in nature. He says it started on the inside of the front window, but there was no electrical source near it. There was no sign of forced entry.

Griffits says there was smoke damage to the entire house and fire damage to the family room area.