A church and attached daycare were evacuated in Jacksonville on Wednesday after a gas leak.
Jacksonville firefighters responded to First Presbyterian Church on Westminster Street at around 1:30 after a report of someone digging a trench and hitting a gas line, rupturing it.
Fire Lieutenant Mike Martin says when crews arrived, church officials were already evacuating the church and daycare.
Martin says it was an outside leak, and no gas was in the church. A fireman was placed in the vicinity of the schoolchildren as a precaution in case a wind shift blew the gas in their direction.
Martin says he was told by Ameren Illinois officials they would have the leak fixed by the close of business on Wednesday. Fire crews were on scene for about a half hour.