House destroyed in rural Franklin by fire

By Gary Scott on November 17, 2014 at 7:25am

A rural Franklin house was destroyed in a fire on Sunday.

Franklin firefighters got the call to 346 Smith Road at around noon. Fire Chief Gerald Wilson says crews arrived to find the back half of the single-story home fully involved.

Smith says fire affected the entire house, but he says the wind was blowing in a favorable direction to knock down the fire itself before it reached the front end, and that crews were able to save a lot of property.

The house was lived in by Becky and Bobby Carroll, who were at church, according to Wilson. He says a faulty wood heating stove on the back porch, which was running at the time, was the culprit.

Wilson says there’s no foul play suspected, but indicated that a neighbor had reported trouble with their wood heating stove earlier.

The house is a total loss, but no value estimates were immediately available.

The Murrayville-Woodson and Alexander Fire Departments assisted Franklin. Crews were on scene for about four hours.

There were no injuries.