Man accused of burning down house

By Gary Scott on January 8, 2015 at 5:21pm

Photo of fire from GoFundMe account page.

A Roodhouse man remains in custody after allegedly burning a house down in Scott County.

Thirty-eight-year-old Jeremy Cox was charged in Scott County Court yesterday with residential arson, residential burglary and theft. He’s alleged to have entered the residence of Charles Savage on Alsey-Glasgow Road on December 28th, and started a fire.

Winchester Fire Chief Paul Reuter says the house was fully engulfed and the roof had already fallen in by the time crews arrived. The home was completely destroyed save for a utility room. It’s still under investigation by the state fire marshal.

Scott County State’s Attorney says there was a previous relationship between Cox and one of the people living at the residence, but he didn’t elaborate.

Cox is also alleged to have taken a fireproof safe and two storage cabinets from the residence.

The arson and burglary charges are Class 1 Felonies that carry a sentence of between four and 15 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Bond is set for Cox at $500-thousand.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the Savage family. The house was uninsured.

Age of defendant corrected at 8:45 a.m. Fridayi.