A Cass County house roughly ten miles east of Arenzville appears to be a total loss after going up in flames Monday afternoon.
Nineteen-year-old Alexis Henson, who resides at the 18555 Morgan-Cass County Line residence, says the fire was first spotted by her mother and father, Amber and Patrick Henson, who were driving by the house.
Amber and Patrick attempted to enter the house, which at the time was only suffering fire damage near the rear portion, in an effort to save multiple animals inside.
Amber says she burned her arm reaching for a dog cage and was forced to exit the building. It is believed that two dogs and two rabbits did not escape the fire. Two ducks were able to get out of the home.
Amber says the fire moved quickly throughout the two-story house and was fully engulfed “in no time.” The Henson’s called 9-1-1 at 1:38 p.m. First responders from Cass County, Morgan County, Virginia, South Jacksonville and Jacksonville were on the scene.
The origin of the fire has yet to be confirmed, but Alexis and Amber feel the air conditioner and old wiring played a role. The house is estimated to be at least 80 years old.
Correction and update: Arenzville’s fire department did not respond. Newspaper reports this morning indicate both ducks, not just one, that were inside got out.