Officials issue reminder about space heater safety after Murrayville blaze

By Gary Scott on December 12, 2015 at 9:49am

After major damage was done to a mobile home in rural Murrayville this week, firefighters are issuing a reminder about the dangers of space heaters.

Firefighters in Murrayville, Woodson, and South Jacksonville were called Wednesday to the 500 block of Happy Hollow Road just north of Nortonville. The residents which included a woman and her children were able to get out safely but firefighters say the mobile home was a total loss.

While the cause of the fire is not confirmed, firefighters believe it may have been started by a space heater in the bedroom.

Ryan Deeder, a South Jacksonville firefighter and EMT official, spoke to our reporting partners at WICS ABC Newschannel 20.

“There’s all different kinds of things you need to watch for with space heaters. Obviously it’s that time of year you’re gonna wanna watch and make sure there’s no frayed or broken wires. Always avoid using extension cords because extension cords could overheat. If you have children or pets, keep an eye on them,” he says.

Deeder also suggests that if you leave the room or go to sleep, always shut the space heater off.

If you’d like to help the victims of this fire they’re in need of blankets, pillows, clothes, shoes, beds, and baby formula.

An account is set up for the family at the U.S. Bank in Jacksonville. If you’d like to donate items, you’re asked to call Erin Vanbebber at 371-8888.

The 9-year-old wears size 10-12 pants, size 14 shirts and size 5 shoes.

The 5-year-old wears 4T-5T shirts and pants and size 1 shoes and the baby wears 12-month clothes.

A relief fund has been set up with US Bank.