Over $40K in damage caused to Winchester house by fire

By Gary Scott on April 22, 2016 at 8:16am

A house in rural Winchester suffered major damage due to a fire on Thursday afternoon.

The Winchester Fire Department was called out to a home on Woodson-Winchester Road at around 1 p.m. Assistant fire chief Dick Coon says when firefighters arrived, the fire was out of the west side of the house.

Coon says a family of three or four people lived there, but no one was home at the time of the fire. No names were available this morning.

Coon says the fire started above the electrical panel in the house and broke through the exterior wall. He says the fire was mainly contained to the kitchen area and ceiling area between the kitchen and family room.

Coon estimates more than $40,000 of damage was caused, and says the house is not livable. He says there was major heat and smoke damage.

South Jacksonville’s fire department was paged out for assistance. The departments were on scene for about two hours.

There were no injuries.