House fire in rural Murrayville

By Gary Scott on December 9, 2015 at 2:30pm

Major damage was done to a mobile home in rural Murrayville today.

The Murrayville Fire Department was called in shortly before 11:15 to a residence at 506 Happy Hollow Road, which is located north of Nortonville. They also paged out Woodson and South Jacksonville crews.

The occupants of the trailer included Erin VanBebber and her two children, who were able to get out safely. Scott Fitzgerald with the Murrayville Fire Department says a next door neighbor or friend tried to put the fire out themselves and suffered minor burns to his hands.

Fitzgerald says the mobile home was a total loss inside. The fire may have been started by a space heater in the bedroom.

Fire crews were on scene for about an hour and a half.