An Auburn man faces the potential of spending the rest of his natural life behind bars after a Sangamon County jury found him guilty last week of several sex crimes against a minor.
The Sangamon County State’s Attorney’s Office says that 34 year old Mason E. Bertrand of Auburn was found guilty of of three counts of Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault, three counts of Criminal Sexual Assault, and one count each of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse, Sexual Exploitation of a Minor, and Unlawful Restraint. Bertrand is scheduled for sentencing before Associate Judge Jennifer Ascher on November 17th. He faces a potential sentence of up to 225 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.
Sangamon County State’s Attorney’s Office Juvenile Division Chief Kendra Hansel and Felony Division Chief Mary Beth Rodgers successfully prosecuted the defendant in coordination with the Sangamon County Child Advocacy Center and the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Department.
Felony Division Chief, Mary Beth Rodgers said in a press release that Sangamon County works hard to prosecute these types of crimes, especially for the most vulnerable in the community: “Survivors of these terrible offenses deserve a coordinated investigation and prosecution that puts the child first so they feel supported, validated, and empowered to come forward and help us hold these offenders responsible. We appreciate the hard work by the CAC and their multi-disciplinary team, including the SCSO in helping this child be heard and believed.”
Law enforcement reported back that Bertrand had committed crimes against a family member, who is under the age of 13 after his arrest by Sangamon County Sheriff’s Deputies on January 30, 2020.